Thursday, August 26, 2010

Journey of a Sustainable Farmer

My name is Lane Linnenkohl and welcome to the Journey of a Sustainable Farmer.  I began farming in 2003, and began using horses full time in 2005.  Before then, my wife and I had no experience farming, conventionally or sustainably, beyond growing a backyard vegetable garden that never seemed to produce more than some extra flavoring for the evening's salad.  But we decided that we wanted to raise our own food and do it as sustainably as we possibly could.  And then we found a way to get started, and we did.  Just how we did it will be discussed in future posts.

This blog isn't about me.  This blog is about you and your journey towards a more sustainable lifestyle.  I'll be using my journey, past, present and future, as well as journeys of friends and people I find interesting to illustrate what's possible.  The one common theme throughout these blog posts will be to start now.  There is no good reason to wait until the time is right.  The time is right now.  Start small or start all at once, but for goodness sake, start.  I would never have gotten to where I am now in my journey if I hadn't taken the first step.  One thing all successful people have in common is a willingness to get started.  A willingness to take a chance.

There isn't time to wait.  We have oil in the ocean, fish aren't fit to eat, air not safe to breath, water requires filtration to drink, soil and food bathed with chemicals, obese people nutritionally starving to death, the economy is being propped up by fancy policy maneuvering.  We as a society need to make changes and we need to make them now.  My hope for this blog is to encourage and inspire, to poke and goad you into a more sustainable lifestyle.  Come along with me.  Start your journey today.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment